Cathedral of the Holy Myrrhbearers of the Russian Orthodox Church
Holy Myrrhbearers Cathedral in Baku was built under project of the Russian architect Verzhbitsky, Fyodor Mikhailovich. The funds for this project was allocated by the War Office of tsarist Russia, as well as the private donation made by Baku merchant Gadzhi Zeynalabdin Tagiev
The Church name has its own history. In 1909 this Church was built for the 206th Saliyan pultan, accommodated in Baku. It was consecrated in honor of the women who came the first day after Saturday to the tomb of resurrected Jesus Christ for ritual anointment – to embalm the bones with fragrance and myrrh. Thus the name of the cathedral church in Baku was originated
In Soviet time the church was closed. It housed first warerooms and then a gym. The Church was slowly destroying at this period. The events, which took place in January 1990, resulted in hitting its bell tower with two shells, thereat some of its parts were destroyed
In 90-s the Russian Orthodox Church began restoration work on the temple. The building’s architecture was restored. His Holiness the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexis II on his visit to Azerbaijan on 27 May 2001 administered the consecration of the Church and gave it a status of Diocesan Cathedral Church.
After restoration, the Church was opened on 24 March 2003. The Church is also notable for a Baku patron Apostle Bartholomew’s piece of hallows and the Holy Icons of the Mother of God of Tikhvin and Caspian which are kept there.